Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Dr. Seuss, the political cartoonist

So, I am sitting at home this Wednesday night, nursing a cold. It sucks, because I was supposed to go out dancing with a friend tonight...and instead I am stuck at home, sucking up hot toddies (like my mom makes for me when I am sick), and surfing the web. Wait a second...that is just a slight variation of many of my evenings, where I sit drinking some alcoholic beverage and surf the web.

I digress...

I came across something interesting (as one often does while surfing the web): an archive of Dr. Seuss' politican cartoons:

Because of the fame of his children's books (and because we often misunderstand these books) and because his political cartoons have remained largely unknown, we do not think of Dr. Seuss as a political cartoonist. But for two years, 1941-1943, he was the chief editorial cartoonist for the New York newspaper PM (1940-1948), and for that journal he drew over 400 editorial cartoons.

Here are some of my favorites: Getting to the Root of Problem, Appeasement, The United Nations as Nazi Germany's Punching Bag, The Isolationist Peace Dove, Adolf the Wolf.

Well...there are loads and loads to discover. It's almost eerie seeing political cartoons drawn in the familiar Dr. Seuss style.

Happy surfing!

2 Comments:

Blogger katiedid said...

He was just such a fascinating artist in general. There was documentary made about him not terribly long ago that I saw, and it was interesting to hear him talk about those early cartooning years, and how it transistioned into writing children's books. Except to hear him tell it, he didn't write any children's books. He wrote illustrated books that kids happened to find appealing.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Amazing..

What a great find, thanks for sharing

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home