Monday, May 23, 2005

The Golden Arches shining from Space?

Technology always boggles my mind. I am always amazed when I get into an airplane and it takes off, when I see footage of helicopters flying, when I see my boyfriend on a webcam, and I even still marvel at how clearly I can hear my mother when she calls me on the phone. And this article at CNN was no exception to my fascination:

"outsized billboards deployed by a space company into low Earth orbit could appear as large as the moon and be seen without a telescope."

But I am glad that the Federal Aviation Administration is proposing to amend its regulations to ensure that it can enforce a law that prohibits "obtrusive" advertising in zero gravity. I wonder what they are going to categorize as obtrusive. I can't imagine how weird it would be to look up into the sky and see the Pepsi logo shining like a star.

3 Comments:

Blogger Living Dees Life said...

OH I really really hope they dont let anything like that happen.. Its bad enough they "trashed" the countryside, but now space too?

*shakes her head*

6:00 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I agree with gemini! I hate billboards - Missouri's highways have been completely ruined by them - Illinois is only slightly better.

Plus I wonder what this would do to astronomers? It would most certainly have an impact!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

I keep thinking about the most recent movie version (2001 I think was the year it was released) of the book by H.G. Wells, "Time Machine". The most recent movie, during the man's forward travel in time, he is knocked out by earth's violent reputions because the Moon had brocken up because they were mining the moon... That was just freaky, I know it was a movie, but it hits home, thier already saying on the Modern Marvels Metal series that they can find an over abundance of metals, etc on the moon.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home