Friday, May 13, 2005

Insanity and Separation

A few days ago a friend came over, and said he had read a quote that day that made him think of me. And I agreed. So far, I haven't been able to find an English translation, so you will have to do with my translation of it:

"In jeder großen Trennung liegt ein Keim von Wahnsinn; man muss sich hüten, ihn nachdenklich auszubrüten und zu pflegen." - ("Maximen und Reflexionen")- Goethe

CaliValleyGirl's rough translation: In every large separation lies a germ of insanity; one must take care not to incubate and tend for it with contemplation.

When someone is so far away, it is so easy to reflect too much and effectively drive yourself nuts. I always have to catch myself from wandering down that road.

Goethe was one smart guy.

2 Comments:

Blogger neurotic_wife said...

Well, it seems, I keep falling down that road and at times I can never catch myself in time. For me its a daily struggle, but I really am trying .....

Love your posts Calivalleygirl, take care now...

10:49 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

I always liked Goethe actually. For me when I hit that pathway is when I find that I am having a pity party and everyone is invited!

Then I go to Red2Alpha's blog (which is how I found yours) and read about his day. After that my pity subsides, and I remember I could have it much worse.

Pity parties are great but should only last as long as any proper birthday should (or as long as it takes to eat a pint of ice cream).

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home