Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

For the first time in my almost 27 years, I am actually seeing Memorial Day as something other than the last long weekend before summer. I never remember really realizing what it meant. Even last year.

But since then, Memorial Day has gotten a personal touch. People who have died in war are no longer names I first hear upon their deaths. My friend lost her husband in Iraq. And Big Windy lost five soldiers. And today I have spent some time looking at pictures and remembering those guys, and all the others who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I don't think Memorial Day will be "just a three-day weekend" for me ever again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

I felt the same way. Up until now today was just the day the Americans remembered and had their first long weekend of the summer. We have our Remembrance Day in November.

But today I found myself drawn to all the stories and remembering what those serving are going through. I will never think of it the same either.

BTW, archives are back on my page. Just scroll down...

3:06 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

There was a lot more thought about what the day meant, back when it was always on May 30th. Once they made it a Monday holiday - the significance of it sort of slipped away. We hadn't had any "real" wars for a while and although the vets had some parades through town - no one thought about it too much. After all - a 3 day weekend was a much more interesting prospect than thinking about people who are dead... right?

Things are different now - and will be for a while - until we hit another "peaceful" stretch of time when people will start to forget again.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

You will notice that the July 4th has more meaning as well. I just think about what these people do every day no matter where and I am in awe.

The military life is a different one and most often needs to be lived before you can really understand.

Household6

7:38 AM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

I completely agree with you. Seeing as how I was a "kid" during the Gulf War (last I remember hearing anything about a war until Recent War) I never understood what my family was going through while our members were deployed.

Now, being a "grownup" and seeing everything first hand, having my own friends over there and actually understanding. I dont think I'm going to make it through to July without crying every day.

*HUGS* to all Soldiers and thier families.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You are old.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home