Saturday, May 14, 2005

That's an insult?

At about 4am this morning, after drinking entirely too much beer, I was eating gyros with a friend inside of a fast-food place. Her husband was outside with some friends joking around. A customer comes in, I would guess a Moroccan, and asks the guy running the place if "his friend" is there, and the fast-food guy seems annoyed and says, no.

The guy sees us, two girls hunched together eating our gyros, and he comes over and asks us if we want some coke or grass, or whatever else he had. When we declined his kind offer, he started getting a little aggressive, saying he was just trying to make some money, and basically, I guess, trying to guilt-trip us into buying his wares. By this time, my friend's husband had seen the commotion and came in to tell the guy to take a hike. The guy was annoyed at being told to clear off, and started swearing at my friend's husband, and calling him *gasp* "uncircumcised." I have no idea whether my friend's husband is circumcised or not, but it was kind of like when Dr. Evil sets his ransom at "one million dollars" and cackles away wickedly, while everyone else just looks on in puzzled amusement.

So now I am a little less culturally centric for it: I know that in certain places in the world, calling someone "uncircumcised" is bad. So, if I ever want to really insult some Northern Africans, I know what to say. Hope that never comes in handy, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

That made me laugh! Something lost in translation...

Too funny!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I would be insulted.

7:59 AM  
Blogger neurotic_wife said...

Lol, that is too hillarious. First time for me to know that "uncircumsized" is used as an insult. I assure you we dont have that in Iraq. Maybe I should try it on HUBBY and see his reaction,lmao....(tho HUBBY is circumsized).....

11:50 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh no!! Not... gasp... uncircumcised!

Y'know what's sad, is having read your post about the Whizzinator, I just know there's a joke in this somewhere, but it's not quite coming to me yet.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home