Friday, May 27, 2005

This really burns my toast!

I read this article and it makes me seethe. A non-US citizen mother is being denied membership in the American Gold Star Mothers' organization, because the organization requires US citizenship for membership.

"We can't go changing the rules every time we turn around," said Herd, the national president. "When we have problems within our organization with people not abiding by the rules, we just get it straightened out, we don't change the rules."

Well, maybe the rule is stupid.

Hopefully the Gold Star Mothers will listen to their past president, and change the rule:

A past president of the mothers' group, Dorothy Oxendine, of Farmingdale, said, "There's no discrimination in a national cemetery. There's no discrimination when they get killed side by side. So how can we discriminate against a mother?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

This just begs the question... how many rules have they been asked to change? I mean really... are they getting daily requests for rule changes?

Yet another reason why I have to laugh when I hear women proclaiming the world would be a better place if they were in charge.

The rules for membership as a gold star mother should be... you are the mother to a soldier who has lost his/her life while on active duty. Who cares whether or not the mother is American??? It's just pettiness!

10:38 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I agree, that's a shame, and it reflects poorly on the organization involved, insofar as I can see. For some strange reason though, it brings to mind that old Groucho Marx chestnut: "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

1:06 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

This is rather messed up. Their sons and daughters can join the military, lose their life but their mom can't join an organization that supports their child's military committment?

Fools

Household6

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home