Friday, June 10, 2005

In the Blink of an Eye

Firepower Forward has a post detailing what a ride in a Chinook is like in Afghanistan, and a description of Wednesday's attack:

I don't know the details of what happened at Shkin on Wednesday other than the Chinook carrying our people was on the ground when the rocket exploded. The pilot's immediate reaction to get the aircraft out of danger was thwarted by the fast action of the flight engineer who had seen shrapnel hit the aircraft. Staying on the ground was now the more prudent action and the aircraft was promptly evacuated.

And I can only nod my head in agreement with this sentiment:

[...] but now comes the delicate, mental balancing act of guilt and gratitude for the safety of those we know and the loss of those we don't.

The post also has some great pics of Big Windy Chinooks and their crew in action.

1 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

Thank you so much for posting this - I'm glad I didn't miss it! Now I have him blog rolled so I can get there more often.

And consider yourself trackbacked. *grin*

http://technicalities.mu.nu/archives/086710.php

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home