Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Kindness of Strangers

Erika at Military Bride has a post up about her fiancé's R&R leave from Afghanistan. I found her description of their goodbye at the airport when he flew back particulary touching:

On Sunday morning when I took Matt to the airport, I got a gate pass so I could wait with him and was surprised to find that I was the only wife/fiance who had. The couple other guys Matt had traveled home with were sitting in the waiting area alone. Unlike when he had flown in, he was flying out in his DCUs, so there was a certain amount of pride that flowed through my veins everytime someone thanked Matt. How glad I was to be the girl holding his hand! When the time came for him to board, I couldn't bear to let him go. We held on for as long as we could, crying and hurting in a way that should never have to be familiar but that I know all too well. After I finally let loose my iron grip on his hand, complete strangers put their arms around me, comforted me, told me they felt for me even though they could never really understand unless they'd been through it; regardless, it was a kind gesture.

I am always touched by the kindness of strangers, especially when it comes to the treatment of soldiers and their loved ones. It makes things a little easier when you have support like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Household6 said...

You've always got to post something that makes me cry don't you. Either I am crying from laughin so hard or crying from being in their shoes in some way shape or form.

Thank CVG, this really is a sweet and great post.

HH6
AKA Miss Stella

4:23 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Both my husband and brother noticed when they came home that the American public in general really does love their servicemembers this time around.

My brother was the only one who didn't go up to first class on his flight, because he refused to let the little old lady who strenuously offered give up her seat.

also - I'm from the Central Valley in Cali. Were we neighbors?

5:22 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

AFW, I'm from the San Fernando Valley, more obnoxious and less down to earth than the Central Valley...;-)

And I am just flabergasted that someone who paid for first class was willing to give up their seat...wow...

5:24 PM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

I lived on Catalina Island for quite a few years, too, so I'm not too sure that I'm very down to Earth. Maybe not obnoxious, but I still say "Dude" a lot. :)

My brother said that about 5 or 6 people willingly offered to give up their first class seats to the soldiers. My brother was the only one who refused, because he wasn't sure the sweet little old lady who offered would be able to manuever into his squished in economy tail section area.

And people bought them meals and drinks at every airport they went through.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home