Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Milk. It does a body bad...?

I love it when someone points out how vulnerable the United States is in some way, and thinks the best thing to do, is publish their ideas and make the vulnerability widely known.

It reminds me of when Kerry kept on repeating over and over how unsafe we were, because 90% of containers shipped to the US aren't checked. I can remember watching the The Daily Show, and Jon Stewart saying: "Well, I wasn't scared before, but thanks Mr. Scaredy McFardy," or something along the same vein.

And here is another one of the wonderful studies that takes something perfectly healthy, and then claims that it is actually really unhealthy.

Milk may make for heavier kids, study finds

Children are urged to drink plenty of milk but a study published on Monday suggests that the more milk that kids drink, the fatter they grow -- and skim milk is a worse culprit than whole milk.

A survey of more than 12,000 children aged 9 to 14 showed that those who drank more milk weighed more than those who drank less.

Oh, really? Who woulda thunk it? And let me guess...taxpayer money is funding these incredibly surprising findings?

So what are parents now expected to do with those results: "um, kids, no more milk, it's bad for you." I think the cherry on top was this:

It could be that the youngsters drink lower-fat milk more freely. Thus, it may not be milk itself but the calories in milk that are to blame, said biostatistician Catherine Berkey, who led the study, in a statement.

Oh...so you mean, you didn't really study any other part of their diet, other than the milk drinking? So the cookies dipped into the milk, and the cake that was washed down with the milk was considered insignificant. The key factor here was milk consumption.

Uh huh...what a scientific study. Don't go blaming the innocent milk.

Free of charge I will provide a few more surprising study results, on average:
Those who eat more pizza weigh more than those who eat less.
Those who eat more ice-cream weigh more than those who eat less.
Those who drink more beer weigh more than those who drink less.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Hmm, I drink about a half-gallon of whole milk a day.

Does this mean I'm going to need someone with a forklift to get me around soon?

I love milk.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

What you didn't know that living will kill you?

Actually, its more like they are getting heavy because while drinking milk and dipping cookies they are sitting on their tush playing X box all day instead of playing outside upon occasion.

Household6

4:47 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

That's the first thing I thought of when reading the "study" too. It makes me want to scream. I wonder if it will have the same effect as the big egg scare years ago... then they figured out that maybe eggs weren't so bad for you after all. ARG!!!!

10:37 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

I honestly think that too much dairy IS bad for you, but I am including into this eating too much cheese, yogurt, etc.

That said, if it's a govt. sponsored study I'm not going to complain... the USDA has a flurry of programs that are taxpayer funded soley to promote the over-consumption of dairy foods and the dairy industry as a whole. For example, the stupid cheese ads. I like my cheese just fine, but cheese shouldn't be slathered onto everything you cook.

P.S. Just my two cents, not meaning to stir up any sort of a storm here!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Living Dees Life said...

OK! SO we have the government telling us that milk is bad for our kids to consume cuz it makes em fat, yet you have commercials on the TV tellig you that drinking more milk and dairy products in your diet will help keep and make you trimmer in the waist...

#1 reason why I dont listen to government studies, they never make sense, as CaliGirl showed so well.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home