Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Strange, but amusing...

I was standing at an intersection waiting to walk over to the other side with a friend. Cars had pulled into the intersection and were stationary there waiting for a bottle-neck to clear up in front. However when the light turned red, they were still stuck in the middle of the intersection. Thus the intersection was blocked for those who had green.

Of course much honking ensued, and most of the pedestrians didn't care which way or the other, being able to walk between the stationary cars. However, one pedestrian was clearly disgusted at the drivers' lack of discipline and yelled at the car nearest him: "This wouldn't happen in America! There you would get a huge fine for this."

I thought this was hysterical. Firstly, I love the fact that he was so pro-America. Secondly, I find it so ironic that America was, in his eyes, the better organized society and the shining example for civil obedience. I mean, we are talking about Germany here, where many public trash cans have 3 slots: paper, recyclables, trash...and yes, people do abide and throw their trash away accordingly.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Maybe the guy has never been to America.

Though I did read something where it said America had the best drivers. I think it was actually the Southern states with the best driving records. Which shocked me because most Southern states have the least requirements for driver's education courses. The worst drivers were in New England.

I think we should ban all cars and travel around in tubes.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

MJ you watch to much Furturama!

I do find that amusing too considering how the garbage cans work and the amount of paperwork it often takes to get anything done over here. Everything must be lined up properly.

I wonder what state the gentleman had visited? It couldn't be New York, CA perhaps?

11:47 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Well, it's strange, because there are certain things that Germans are really good about: only overtaking on the left, which means that the left lane is always the fast lane on the freeway, not like the stupid 5 lane freeways in Los Angeles, where it's a dice roll. Stupid drivers!
However, there are so things here, that just wouldn't fly in Los Angeles for example. Okay, of course there are jay-walkers in the US, but I think I have probably jay-walked maybe 10 times in my life in the US...here I easily do that in just 5 days. Might be because I walk here more too, I guess. And also, I am from LA, and not New York...we don't walk in LA...we drive...But when we drive, we usually don't block the intersections, and you will get fined for that (approx. $65) And I am not sure if the fine and enforcement of that penalty is high enough here.

12:38 PM  
Blogger The Girl said...

Speaking of driving, I'm still not used to just arbitrarily having the traffic lights turned off, which force you to use the posted signs below. And all of those "right before left" rules drove me bonkers while I was studying for the driver's license.

Did you say anything to the guy? I think hearing that comment would have made my day :) hahaha

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sminklemeyer said...

dude,

you have to write more on a post like that. you had my interest, but lost me at the end. did the cars leave? were there two old ladies having trouble breathing? i need the story. i surfed german web sites to read more, but couldn't. give me more!

2:59 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Sminks,

Okay, so I went back to the scene of the crime and I asked eye-witnesses, and this is what happened afterwards: I weaved thru the blocking cars to the otherside of the road, and was on my merry way. However, Mr. Pro-America was so outraged he shouted: "I wish I had my camera to take pictures." I love rebels without a cause.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

ROFL!!! I'm glad he's so pro-American and I thank him for adding to our luster... but he's quite obviously never been to Chicago... OMG... ***wiping tears*** oh the hilarity. The poor man would go into meltdown during a Chicago rush hour...

It's always easier to think that things are better elsewhere. Every place has it's unique problems with drivers - it's amazing that the road systems work as well as they do.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home