Tuesday, July 05, 2005

You mean they're, like, from Europe? No, Robbie, they're not from Europe

Steven Spielberg sure can make movies. I went to go see War of the Worlds last night with some friends, and I spent half of the movie in one of my friend's lap...and she spent the rest in mine.

It's not like it's scary-scary, but it's suspenseful, and it's scary like movies probably were back in the day, before the fear started following you home.

Anyways, the movie is funny, unintentionally funny. Like for example just at the beginning when the aliens start attacking people in the cities, Rachel (this has got to be the most annoying role Dakota Fanning has ever played...she screams so much, that you want to slap her most of the movie) asks her dad, Ray (played by Tom Cruise...and even if he is freak, he can still act) who the "terrorists" were. Sorry, if I started laughing already there. I mean, for me that was a sign of the times. Of course, any American 10 year-old is going to think it's a terrorist attack if a city suddenly is attacked.

So, Ray answers: "They're not from around here." Then it gets even better. His son Robbie (played but some young hottie...if I were younger I think I would develop a star crush on this guy like I did for Edward Furlong after T-2) asks Ray "You mean they're, like, from Europe?"
And Ray replies: "No, Robbie, they're not from Europe."

Crazy aliens attack New York city and start vaporizing people and a 16 year-old kid thinks that Europe is invading. Yes, current affairs or history don't seem to be a strong point in education nowadays. Oh, by the way, the kid was supposed to be writing some report about the French in Algeria. Somehow I don't think he was going to get an A on that paper.

Soldiers play a big role in the movie, and every time they showed up on the screen my heart swelled, to think, that in the case of an attack from outerspace my soldier would be protecting humanity on the front lines. And then I was like: um, does it take a movie for you to figure out that he is already doing that? So, as soon as I got home, I had to message him and tell him how proud I was, and thankful. It was a great 4th of July flick!

6 Comments:

Blogger Teresa said...

LOL - Europe as an invader... OMG that's hysterical!

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie - I've never been a fan of Spielberg's work, and the only thing I ever liked Cruise in was Jerry McGwire. So, I probably won't be seeing it... or maybe someday on DVD.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

hey..
yeah I watched that movie too yesterday and I was cracking up when they said that thing about Europe. I bend over to my friend she was sitting next to me and then I said "uhh yeah we germans are EVVIILL"..she was laughing loud.

I just loved the movie! Eventhough I was discussing with my friends, afterwards, why the Tripods died! :-P

9:08 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

oh nooooo.. now I ruined the whole movie for everyone who was going to watch it!

Ok..the Tripod are NOT dying *lol*

9:10 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

HookersGirl,

You crack me up...;-)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

I saw it the week before and there was long discussion about how creepy it was. It wasn't scary just creepy and of course the sky was cloudly with the weird weather we've been having so it looked just like the EMP storms they had and we all screamed like girls when lightening struck in the sky (well duh we are girls).

HH6
AKA Miss Stella

9:16 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

Well, that gives me something to look forward to seeing, then.

I'm snickering about the Europe invading part.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home