Thursday, September 01, 2005

Joy

This morning I turned in my thesis (with the help of some really great friends, who held my hand through the whole process). I was able to sigh with relief, but now the vacuum is being filled with anticipation of my boyfriend's upcoming R&R. In less than a week we should be seeing each other.

Today, when walking through the city, a guy walked past me, and my senses were shocked. And I wondered why I was suddenly noticing this man...and then I realized it. He wore the same cologne as my boyfriend. And all this excitement rushed to the surface, because soon I will be reunited with the guy who makes that cologne smell so sweet for me.

It's so hard to grasp. We are over a half-way through the deployment now, and his leave will be like a mini-homecoming. I mean, he is not home for good, but for two weeks we will be able to have carefree time together.

I was looking through some old emails, and found one that I had written to Sarah back in February, before my boyfriend had left and before her husband had returned:

It's nice to read your posts about your giddiness awaiting the return of your hubby. I am really looking forward to this year for some reasons too, I see it as a year of personal growth and testing the strength of our relationship. I guess part of it, also because I can only imagine the joy of being reunited with him.

And soon I will no longer just have to imagine that joy...

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Your post just made me start remembering R&R. We just stood there, stupidly grinning and unable to stop talking. He wanted to see everything in the house; the stove was new to him even though they'd installed it months earlier. We'd try to watch movies, but we'd pause to start talking and restart the movie hours later.

Thanks for reminding me of my own R&R. It's so easy to forget the deployment as soon as they're home, but those are memories I want to keep. R&R is such cherished time; I hope you and the chief have a wonderful fortnight!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Girl, as you know I am very excited for you!!! I remember that we were chatting for hours just talking about our guys and we were so worry about them *sigh* and that is already more then 6 month ago. I know what you mean about the cologne. Luckily my husband left his cologne here ( because he said he doesn't need it downrange ha! ) So I sprayed it on my pillow 2 nights ago.. childish hu? ;-) Enjoy your time with him..I'll think about you guys!! Take care

3:26 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Congratulations on finishing your thesis! And I can't tell you how happy I am that you'll get to see your sweetheart so soon! I hope his trip is quick and he doesn't get stuck in Kuwait for days!

7:51 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Hey - congratulations on completing your thesis! How exciting. And you get the reward for being done with it by having free time to spend on the R&R. I'm really happy for you.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home