Sunday, December 18, 2005

Divided in their Grief

I found this article in the Los Angeles Times about a soldier's widow and her husband's family:

After a young soldier dies in Iraq, the rift between his pregnant widow and his parents deepens. Mourning brings them no unity.

[...]Each American casualty on the battlefields of Iraq rips at the fabric of families at home. Grief is universal. But beyond that, the ripples are unpredictable. Patriotism can be stirred or extinguished; relatives united or torn apart. No family is unchanged.

The article is an interesting window into the lives of the members of a fallen soldier's family and is a reminder that long after the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan are over, many families will still be hurting and missing their soldier.

4 Comments:

Blogger dcat said...

I hope he will be in your arms soon.

I support our troops! You must be very proud of him! :) I am for all our guys and gals serving!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Household6 said...

Wow, see this is quiet fear I have had about my inlaws. We have a tenuous relationship as well.

When it came time to create his will, we argued over my ensuring that his burial wishes be placed in the will. His parents had just moved to Nevada and I feared that we would fight over where to bury him. His wishes were to be buried in the state he spent most of his life - California. I couldn't imagine trying to deal with his death and the possibility of going to court with his parents on where to bury him, so I pleaded that he just placate me and put it in there. He finally did and I think he realizes that it is just one less thing to have to deal with should I ever have to.

I hope that the birth of their grandson will eventually bring the family together.

HH6

8:33 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I too have worried about this. My in-laws don't support the war, and we had many a disagreement while my husband was deployed. I was so afraid that my mother-in-law could pull a Sheehan...

9:55 AM  
Blogger airforcewife said...

I've seen this difference between parents and wives more than once - there definately seems to be a generational issue.

It is definately scary, and something I think even those with good in law relationships worry about.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home