Thursday, February 02, 2006

Milestones

There are many milestones in a one year deployment:

  1. The first week.
  2. The first month.
  3. 100 days.
  4. Halfway point.
  5. R&R, whenever that may be.
  6. 265 days gone by, and we turn into “double-digit midgets” since the time remaining is under 100 days.
  7. 300 days gone by.
  8. The point where we are informed we should no longer send mail downrange.
  9. A forward group of soldiers from our unit redeploys home.
  10. The advanced group for the replacements arrive.
  11. The main group of the replacements arrive.
  12. After a short overlapping period, redeployment begins in earnest.

Going through a deployment is like pushing a boulder up a hill. Eventually you get to the top and the boulder slowly starts rolling down the other side, picking up momentum along the way.
Yesterday in an email, my boyfriend's commander wrote:

“the advance party of our replacement unit has arrived. They started their integration into the daily flow with in-processing and classes.”

The boulder is picking up momentum!

5 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

Woo Hoo! Can you eat still? I stopped about 2 weeks prior.

4:20 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Um, yes, I can sadly...lol. In fact, I am having loads of celebratory meals now, all along the lines of: "impending end of enforced singledom." Perhaps when the days get closer I will lose my appetite...but for the time being it's seems like I am constantly hungry...today in particular...almost like I am nesting or something...lol.

And no, I didn't say Bette Midler...and by the way, what is wrong with her? She's hot, she owns loads of property on Kauai, and a total powerhouse...man...did I mention hot...oh, well. ;-)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Congratualtions on making it this far. I am only a month into the deployment of my fiance, and I can't to be at the place that you are, or better yet completely finished with it.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

WONDERFUL news!!!

SO close! So so close!!!


- hfs

9:17 AM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

20 more days... :) YAY!

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home