Saturday, April 15, 2006

We’re baaaaack!

So China was awesome. So many impressions, and it’s difficult to describe. First off, the scenery is amazing. Secondly, the people are really nice. We compared them to mid-Western Americans, uncomplicated, easy going, and genuine.

I really have to get cracking and put my nose to the grinding stone in preparations of my looming exams in a few weeks, so I am not sure how much I will be able to blog about the trip. But in the meantime I will post a few pics inspired by Sarah’s couples’ self-portraits post.




Germany - On the train to the airport


Beijing - In the Forbidden City



Xian – The Terracotta Warriors



Longji Valley - Rice Terraces



Hong Kong – Jordan Street, Kowloon

Hong Kong - Hong Kong Island Skyline, albeit blurry, as seen from Kowloon

It was a long trip, and we are both happy to be back in Germany…although not too happy with the crappy cold weather we were met with. We both have colds, but are taking advantage of the long Easter weekend to get back into the groove of things.

Often on the trip I was struck at how surreal it all seemed. I mean, wasn’t he just, 3 weeks before we left, sitting in Afghanistan? He hasn’t been back 2 months yet, but it seems like forever. I have almost forgotten that he was ever gone. However much he was missing from my daily life before, he is so enmeshed in my daily life now, that I can’t believe I survived that whole year he was gone.

This trip was an amazing experience for us both, and a great opportunity to spend a lot of time together outside of the pressures of and routines of daily life. I think it was a necessary cut in the whole homecoming process, because the first few weeks, I was still so fascinated that he was back, and things seemed so un-real. And now that there is a cut between, when he came home and us getting back to our daily routine, delineated nicely by the return from our vacation, it is easier to move on.

For a while he was my boyfriend “who had just returned from a year’s deployment”, and now he is slowly returning to just being my plain and simple boyfriend. After Easter I will go back home to my apartment and study study study for my exams, and my boyfriend will go back to work (after shaving his beard, which I have grown quite attached to, strangely enough). And we will finally be back to “normal,” whatever that means.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

I love the pictures! I laughed as I watched the transformation of your bf's facial hair! Then I laughed again when you made the little comment about it at the end. I'm glad you guys had a great time. My hubby and I are trying to plan a big trip for next summer before we decide to take the big step of KIDS-augh!-and I hope that it can be long and fun and unrushed like yours seemed to be!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I love it ;) You two are beautiful :) :) I'm glad you had fun and that things are getting back-to-normal...it will only get better!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Glad you're back safe and sound. Did you ride a camel on the Great Wall? Sean's parents lived in China from 2000-2002 and it is one of my favorite photos of him! Good Luck on the finals!

11:08 PM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

I love how you can see the progression of your bf's facial hair, too funny!
A friend of mine also recently returned from China, and loved it! I'd love to go to Hong Kong someday, one of my close friends was raised there.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Household6 said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I was laughing at the progression of the man's beard! Oh for the holiday scruff.

HH6

9:30 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

LOL - everyone has commented on the beard so I'll leave it. Wonderful pictures. I'm so glad you both had such a great time. Best of luck on the finals. Can't wait to hear all about the trip when you have time.

7:52 PM  
Blogger AFSister said...

Oh my God... could you two possibly be any more beautiful together? I'm so glad you got to spend some much needed time alone. I'm sure the transition isn't over yet, but you're well on the way!

3:59 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

What a cute couple you are! I'm so glad you have your man back. Only a few months until I'm writing a very similar post, only I have no idea what "normal" will be :)

3:13 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Isn't it great how quickly the mind can move on from a year apart (or in our case, nine months)? I felt the same way when Mark got home...It was almost as if he'd never left.

And I've never had the desire to visit China, but the pictures you took are almost changing my mind! It looks amazing there!

10:10 AM  
Blogger katiedid said...

These are such fun pics - thank you for sharing those. Looks and sounds like it was a great time. Glad to hear all went well, and that you returned home safe and sound. Well, safe and sound with colds that is ;)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

Glad you had a great time... you guys are so cute! :)

2:08 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

I agree with AFSister....you two make such a cute couple it's almost sickening! Hee hee...only kidding. It looks like you had an awesome time on your trip. I"m jealous...I've always wanted to visit China. Maybe one day my hubbie and I will be able to.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home