Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Mother’s Love

I was chatting on the phone with my mother last night, and she mentioned something that my eldest brother had recently told her.

He said to her what a good mother she had been, because when he had asked for a t-shirt from Ocean Pacific, a local Hawaiian brand, my mother had sewn an O and a P onto a shirt of his, imitating the company’s logo.


It’s funny how in retrospect, something that was entirely un-cool when we were children or teenagers, looks so different when we are older, and in my brother’s case, have children of one’s own.

From that perspective he was able to see how although my mother was unwilling to spend the money on what she considered an overpriced t-shirt, she wanted to give him what he wanted, and sacrificed her time and effort to do so. So years later after shunning that t-shirt at one time, he looked back at that shirt as a symbol of our mother’s desire to make us happy.

I think as children we often overlook the sacrifices that our parents made for us , but they soon become crystal clear as we grow older…hopefully.

7 Comments:

Blogger Billie said...

I know exactly what you mean. I really do think as kids we think our parents are evil and just want to make us suffer. But once we get a bit older we realize they actually did a lot of good by making us suffer through some things. My mom refused to spend loads of money on clothes so my sister and I would have to go in together to buy some of the brand named stuff. Hated it then, but it has made me a much more indepedent person :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

Oh wow...this is SO true. My mom made my prom dress for me one year. At first I thought "How uncool is this? Everyone else gets to spend so much money on theirs." When she finished it though, it was GORGEOUS. It fit me perfectly because it was MADE for me! I still look back on all the formals I wore for so many different occasions and besides my WEDDING dress, that one is my favourite! My mom was and still is a pretty amazing lady.

8:40 AM  
Blogger waltoncad said...

How funny and true!! My Mom searched garage and rummage sales for months trying to find us all Vans and OP shorts (with the two panel pocket/short combos) along with Lightning Bolt shirts (sixth grade graduation, lightning bolt shirt, OP pants) but man she refused to buy them retail. We never would have afforded them with five kids. My Mom was the master in her day and age of the early 80's...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Wow. That really makes me wish my mother could sew..:) Hee, hee...No, no I agree. My mother wasn't into sewing but she did other things to show me what's important in life. :)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Some kids figure it out - others never do. Sometimes it takes having kids of your own to see it. My sister, who is a year younger than me, still doesn't get it.

Most parents do the best they can (oh yeah there are some who don't but they aren't in the majority) when raising their kids. Often as kids, we don't really appreciate that. It's only when we are older that we can see what they did to try and give us a good life.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My mom sewed a Guess triangle on the butt of some Kmart jeans for me. Ha. Finally for Christmas one year I got a real pair...and now I think at what a WASTE of money it was. But my parents did it for me because I really wanted them, even if it was shallow and stupid. And I've never forgotten that they did that for me.

Another family joke is when "Santa" brought us a Nintendo. My brother opened it and said, "There MUST be a Santa because Mom and Dad would NEVER buy us this!!!"

5:08 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

very touching post...

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home