Saturday, August 12, 2006

Modern Technology

My mother wrote me an amusing email today:

I can remember when to turn a light on or off was a simple process - you either pulled on a chain until it clicked then hey presto - let there be light, or you moved a rocker switch up or down and the light came on. Well we now have switches that I don't know how to operate, they have a series of tiny indicator lights built into the switch plate and sometimes I get lucky pushing and tapping and gradually the lights brighten to full strength. Tonight I cam home and there was just a glimmer of orange (like when a flash lights batteries are just about worn out), and no matter how much tapping, massaging I did nothing happened.

Add to that that today I also got a new fax/copier and while I mastered sending faxes the copy function eluded me.

So I can now add the above two things to the Universal TV remote as being beyond my ability to operate.

I feel a bit like a customer I had many years ago who said that when it would be imperative for him to have a fax he would retire!

But I don't want to go back to candles.................




Well I guess that's my technology rant for the day.


Looks like when I move back home in a few weeks I will become the official TV remote/light switch/copier operator.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

That's too funny. Although I usually considered myself a pretty big fan of technology, I have those moments where it all seems beyond me. It used to be so hard for me to understand why on earth some of my relatives weren't interested in learning how to navigate the internet. As I get older, however, I'm beginning to see how one could get that way...we'll see what I think in 40 years. Lol.

2:58 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

This made me smile, because it's soooo my mother. :)

4:06 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

That is my mother to a T. She won't even send emails because it frustrates her so much. My dad he sends emails but he requires so much help with just that. Neither one of them can use the internet at all. They couldn't even figure out how to record something on a VCR and that is dead technology. LOL. Sigh, Parents, what would you do without them but furthermore what would they do without us.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Only $19.95 said...

I knew I was in trouble when I was trying to help my dad over the phone with his new computer, and I told him to double-click. He goes, "What?" And I said, "Double-click, Dad." And he goes, "What?" "DOUBLE-CLICK, Dad, DOU-BLE-CLI-CK." And he cussed at me, "Allison, I don't know what the F*CK you're talking about!!!"

I was doomed. Though, I will give him some credit, it's been a few years and he can forward e-mail. Creating a new mail is still venturing out of his ecosystem, but he's still trying.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home