Monday, November 06, 2006

Borat

I saw “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan” on Friday.

I was surprised at how few people even knew who Borat was…but actually then again, not. Because if so many people knew Borat, the movie just wouldn’t have been possible. For those of you who don’t know, Borat is another one Sacha Baron Cohen’s alter-egos, you might be more familiar with Ali G.

The premise of this mokumentary is that Borat is TV journalist from Kazakhstan and he is traveling in the United States, meets and mocks Americans and reports back to his home country. I say mokumentary, but it is actually pretty close to a documentary, as the only two actors in the whole movie are Baron Cohen and the guy who plays his producer. The people he meets along the way think they are just part of some Kazakhstani TV show.

And the results are, well…painful. Most of the time painfully funny, and some times just plain old painful. I was actually exhausted when I came home from the theater, from cringing so much, and sliding down and up in my seat.

It is irreverent, politically incorrect and just downright offensive. But the movie is pure genius. It puts prejudice and ignorance up front (in the form of Borat) and it’s amazing to see how different people deal with it.

And there has to be one of the longest, funniest, craziest, not to mention hairiest, naked scenes in movie history.

Update: I definitely recommend this movie, but it is not for the weak at heart. I loved it, but I love The Daily Show, South Park, Ali G and all forms of political/religious/racial irreverence.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shayna said...

LOL! I am wanting to see this movie but I am debating on when it is out on DVD. As much as I am peeing now through this pregnancy... I am afraid I might pee my pants. Ali G sooo cracks me up and what I have seen of this movie... I know it will too! :)

3:13 AM  
Blogger Stacy Kaye said...

So, do you recommend it? We tried to go see it on Friday but it was sold out. Should we go? Or wait for DVD?

7:21 AM  
Blogger ThatBeeGirl said...

"Throw all the Jews down the well..."
(To your commenters that haven't seen it yet, I'm not anti-Semitic, I'm just quoting from the movie!)
I LOVED the Ali G show, and was super excited for this to come out. I'm also interested to see exactly how many of the folks that are going to see it realize it's a character from an originally British TV show.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

Well, I love anything that puts these issues on the forefront and makes you think "holy crap, they didn't just say or do that did they?" Just plain hilarious!! But they poke fun at every possible race, religion, etc, so in my mind it's A-O.K. :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger MQ said...

I'm sure my hubby will drag me to this movie, so I'm glad it has your endorsement. Maybe it won't be so bad :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger toothfairy72 said...

YO!! R.E.S.P.E.T.C.!!! I can't wait to see this movie. My husband and I have all the Ali-G shows and movies on DVD. We are huge fans. My personal favorite alter-ego is Bruno the gay Austrian fashion critic. He just kills me!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home