Friday, November 17, 2006

Soldier's Last Wishes: Go Party in Vegas

The LA Times is really surprising me lately. They have a lot of stories about soldiers, and some even on the front page. This one, like many others, will make you cry, but also smile.

SHORTLY after Jeffrey "Toz" Toczylowski's last mission in Iraq a year ago this month, friends received a message.

"If you are getting this e-mail, it means that I have passed away," the missive said. "No, it's not a sick Toz joke, but a letter I wanted to write in case this happened."

The Army Special Forces captain, 30, said he would like family and friends to attend his burial at Arlington National Cemetery, "but understand if you can't make it." The message, distributed by a fellow Green Beret after Toczylowski's family had been notified of his death, added this: "There will also be a party in Vegas with a 100k to help pay for travel, room and a party."

Read the rest...it's worth your time.

Update: This is the email he prepared in the case of his death.

Dear friends and family,

If you are getting this email, it means that I have passed away. No, it's not a sick Toz joke, but a letter I wanted to write in case this happened. Please don't be sad for me. It was an honor to serve my country, and I wouldn't change a thing. It was just my time.

Don't ever think that you are defending me by slamming the Global War on Terrorism or the US goals in that war. As far as I am concerned, we can send guys like me to go after them or we can wait for them to come back to us again. I died doing something I believed in and have no regrets except that I couldn't do more.

This will probably be the longest email most of you have ever received from me. More that one of you complained on multiple occasions about my brief emails.

I have requested to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery and would like you to attend, but I understand if you can't make it.

There will also be a party in Vegas with a 100k to help pay for travel, room, and a party. I want you to be happy for the time we had, not the future we won't.

Never regret not calling, writing enough, keeping in touch, or visiting. I was always away and thought of you all as much, if not more, than you thought of me. Time keeps rolling and so should my family and friends. The only thing I ask is that you toast me every so often, because you know I'll be watching and wanting to be with you. Don't spend any time crying for me, because I'll bet you I am having a ball right now wherever I am.

I will look in on all of you and help whenever I can. I love you all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Household6 said...

Are you sure he's not Irish? Vegas would be one HELL of a wake!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Yep sounds Irish to me. Gotta love someone who goes out with such style.

Godspeed Toz.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Cop the Truth said...

Gotta love those guys, what great troops!

6:26 AM  
Blogger MQ said...

All I can say is, Wow!

6:57 AM  
Blogger s1c said...

Good post and e-mail. A toast and more, god bless to him and all of the others serving.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I love stories like that...well...stories like that make me incredibly sad but leave me in awe of such courageous people. I spent all of Veteran's Day watching stories on CNN of soldiers just like that...me and my box of kleenex. Thanks for sharing. :)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home