Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Military Spouse Rite of Passage

Last year my then boyfriend (now husband) gave me a sewing machine for my birthday. Well, he actually gave me a picture of a sewing machine and explained he was still working on buying me one. He spent a lot of time researching the best machine to get and spent countless hours failing, but then finally succeeding on bidding for one on eBay. So then a few months later I got my beloved Pfaff.

I can barely operate the thing without my husband hovering behind me, telling me how to thread it, which foot to use for that stitch, questioning if the tension is correct, etc. He became a veritable sewing machine afficionado during his research. I have made a few things on it, mostly just decorative cushions and patching up clothes. I have great dreams of making huge projects on it, but I have just never gotten around to realizing any of that.

However, two days ago I realized that purchasing the sewing machine for me and all of his hand-holding while I was operating the machine wasn't just a sign of his support for all my craft projects...oh no, rather it was just grooming me for the most important task of all: he asked me if I could sew some patches onto his new uniform.

I was kind of giddy when I did it. It felt so "wifey." And I was pretty proud of my handiwork. And I realized that it made me feel more like a military spouse than anything else I had done in the last few weeks since getting married.

7 Comments:

Blogger KBG said...

Beware the patch-sewing-trap. I have done it a few times, but then it gets inspected more than a Vera Wang - which just ends up making me mad! My hubby is incredibly nit-picky about it and measures to the mm. Drives me insane!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Billie said...

Way too funny. I've been wanting a sewing machine, but I hold off since I know it'll just sit there. I have bad habits of not really making myself finish projects :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

Hey Billie, I am glad to see you...tried to visit your blog the other day, but it has gone private...any way I could get an invite? Pretty pleeeeease?

2:48 PM  
Blogger Billie said...

Yes of course you can! I was going to let you know and then I forgot (gotta love my pregnant brain). Anyhoo, email me at bjemory@gmail.com and I'll email you an invite! Can't wait to see pics from your big day!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Fermina Daza said...

Shoot! You're more "wifey" than me! I can't even sew a button on.

8:38 AM  
Blogger El Capitan said...

Think of all the money you can make sewing patches for your husband's buddies.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Once, in the summer of 2004, I decided I needed to learn how to sew because we were living in Germany and I couldn't find a place that sold cute, pre-made kitchen curtains. I bought the fabric at Ikea and learned how to sew "just enough" to put together some very, very simple cafe curtains. That was the end of my sewing story. Lol...

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home