Monday, January 26, 2009

I pledge...

In the spirit of that self-absorbed celebrity "I pledge" video (thanks, Sarah for the gag-worthy link), I am making a pledge today. I will never make statements about Obama's presidency being a nightmare. I mean, I am really quite tired with hearing: "the nightmare ended and the dream finally came true". To say the last 8 years were a nightmare seems truly self-absorbed, it totally lacks perspective. I understand that a lot of things happened that people were unhappy with, but for me such a statement would be worthy of something like, oh, I don't know, V-Day in Paris, and then later in Germany. To finally be over with WWII. Or perhaps the end of the Castro era. But to say that the years "under" Bush were a nightmare is insulting to people who have lived under truly oppressive leaders.

Whatever the next 4 to 8 years brings, be it nationalized healthcare (*gag*) or whatever other social program he wants to implement (the New New Deal), it won’t turn my life into a nightmare. Yes, my taxes will go up, but my life will go on pretty much the same way it is now.

I think it is great that Obama has garnered such support, what scares me though is the cult-like support he has. People chanting "O-ba-ma" and "Yes, We Can! Yes, we will!" Seriously, it's slightly reminiscent of a Tony Robbins convention or a church revival.

Bush never had that kind of support. If people starting chanting anything in his presence it was more likely to be "U-S-A!" It's so strange for me that there is this cult of personality. I hope he uses it wisely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I couldn't agree more...I feel like I need to take some pepto bismol and buckle my seatbelt...but I like the idea that no matter how "un-me" this presidency gets, I won't trash Obama like so many have trashed Bush. (and still are...oh the miles!)

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home