Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Obama and the ice

I have been finding reason to blog again lately...namely Obama's election. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't entirely unhappy that he was elected. I was completely disappointed with McCain as a candidate, so I am not too sorry that he didn't get elected. I mean, I guess I might be feeling how some Democrats felt after Bush was re-elected over Kerry.

Additionally, Obama doesn't drive me nuts or anything. Sure, he panders, etc. But so does every politician. It's just that he isn't pandering to me. I think Obama is a shrewd politician. The people who drive me nuts are those who act as if on January 20th the clouds parted and the sun came out. And now everything is happy and wonderful. I like it that their attitudes have changed for the positive, but I don't like it that they can't seem to realize that they can do that on their own, and they don't need an outside agent to make this happen.

Anyhoo, seems like every day now, I find reason to post something new here. And today's gem:

"Can I make a comment that is unrelated to the economy very quickly?" the new president told reporters at a gathering with business leaders. "And it has to do with Washington. My children's school was canceled today. Because of, what? Some ice?"

The president said he wasn't the only one who was incredulous.

"As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled," Obama said to laughter. "In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go outside for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors. So, I don't know. We're going to have to try to apply some flinty Chicago toughness."

Asked if he meant the people of the national's capital are wimps, Obama said: "I'm saying, when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."


I love this...I agree with him. He is calling the city out for not being able to handle some ice. Now, had Bush made a comment like this, you can be sure that the unions would pounce on him after the media had whipped up a frenzy.

I wonder how often he will say things like this and get away with it...and at what point he will get the cold shoulder...it will be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home