Monday, April 27, 2009

Very telling

I just read this article where it was stated that since the media ban on coverage of fallen soldiers returning to the US has been lifted, that the majority of families have agreed (14 out of 19), which I find really surprising. I didn't expect there to be such willingness on the parts of families to share that moment with others...it shows a great generosity on the part of the families of the fallen soldiers.

But it was this paragraph that was most telling for me:

Media interest has fallen off sharply since almost 40 reporters, photographers and camera operators turned out to document the arrival of Myers' body. At a more recent casualty arrivals, the only media representative was a lone photographer from The Associated Press.

So much for showing the human cost of the war to the US...

I did think that this was a nice idea:

Even if no one from the media shows up, the Department of Defense films each casualty arrival for which consent is given and presents a recording to the family.

I would be thankful for something like that...although I would almost wish that you could choose that option without allowing other media.

3 Comments:

Blogger airforcewife said...

I, too, was surprised by how this has turned out.

I'm glad that it has been respectful, and hope that it will remain so.

6:28 PM  
Blogger liberal army wife said...

The military has been filming these arrivals since day one. However, a mom who wanted the film was refused it, because of the no release policy. I hope she was able to get it now.

LAW

3:07 AM  
Blogger CaliValleyGirl said...

They have been filming them since day one without a release policy? Wow...so it was just to go into some military archives forever, because it couldn't be used? What a waste of money, not to mention the opportunity to share that moment with the families who wanted it...I hope she was able to get it too...in addition to many others being able to get theirs now. I had no idea...do you think that families of the fallen know about that? I am sure there are a few who don't and would like that footage.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home